When my daughter Erin got married, one of her bridesmaids was Donna. This quilt was made for Donna's son, in her requested earthtone colors. She wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise. Donna is a graphic artist, among her other artistic abilities, so I thought she would appreciate the kaleidoscope qualities of a stack and whack. The fabric in the border was used for the stack and whack blocks in the center. The backing is made with the a strip of the same fabric used in the small border and the binding, surrounded by fabric that looks like it was made to go with it. It was quilted with the computerized edge to edge design Bumpity by Barbara Becker.
And this, ladies and gentleman, is how you thank someone for a quilt:
Kathleen brought me two matching tops--one wallhanging, one table runner. They are made with beautiful hand dyed fabric. The first picture shows the wallhanging with a third place ribbon in the Small Duet category of the Eastern Long Island Quilters Guild 2015 quilt show. The colors are not accurate in that photo.
The dimensions of the two quarter circles in each block are different in the two pieces. I quilted accordingly. So they look slightly different.
My manager at my day job acquired a sailboat last year, and the bathroom had no privacy. He asked if I could make him a curtain. So he went to my local quilt shop, Pieceful Quilting, where the manager helped him choose fabrics for the front and back and I stopped in later to pick them up. But I couldn't just give him a plain curtain, could I? Oh, nooooooo. I had to glam it up a little bit.
The mermaid is from a Dover Book. I fused her and then zigzagged it down with nylon thread (after all, it's just a curtain for a bathroom for a boat). I satin stitched in lime green around the whole thing, hoping that it would help it stand out a little. He was begging for it, and I gave it to him, but I wasn't happy.
So, last winter, when he took the boat out of the water, I asked him to return it to me. I wasn't crazy enough to rip the stitches out to separate the front and back (after all, it's just a curtain for a bathroom for a boat), so I stitched a batik around her in a larger circle and used the blanket stitch to stitch that down. It is FAR from my best work, but, this bears repeating, IT'S JUST A CURTAIN FOR A BATHROOM ON A BOAT! LOL!
I can't believe I haven't posted in over a year. It's been a rough year. I hope my life is getting back on track.
Let me start with Sheryl's quilt for her son's wedding in Spring 2014. I'm not sure of the name of this quilt, but I know it's Thimbleberries. The edge to edge design is Topiary Hearts from Urban Elementz.