August 24, 2016

Ursula's teacups

Ursula hand embroidered these cute teacups.
 
front

close ups



backing


December 6, 2015

Ursula's Tradewinds

Ursula used the Tradewinds pattern by Cozy Quilt Designs to make this, but changed it up a little to make it her own.  It's quilted with the digitized design Feathered Curls.






Mary's "September Morn"

Mary sent me a picture of the pattern for this Thimbleberries quilt, because she wanted the quilting to be similar to the original.  I'm still not brave enough, most of the time, to quilt feathers so I found this digitized design. I chose a different design, also with hearts, for the setting triangles and log cabin blocks.  When I returned the quilt to her, she told me that the bed she will be using it on has hearts in the headboard! 





 
back




December 5, 2015

Carol's pineapple lone star

Carol made this pineapple lone star for her brother, Clay, to celebrate his wedding.  Isn't it beautiful?  All those pieces!  

At one point early in the quilting, I thought to myself, "Oh, no, she has a piece in upside down".  After a couple more instances, I realized she did it on purpose to get a lighter version.  After all, you pay for both sides of the fabric, right? 

Before I started, I asked her if she thought Clay would use it or hang it.  She said use it.  So instead of quilting the entire thing in gold thread, I used white for the light sections, and navy for the dark sections.  It has been a year since I quilted it.  Carol recently said he takes it everywhere and brags about it.  I told her I could have saved myself a lot of trouble connecting designs and changing threads if I'd known he was just going to "drag and brag" LOL!  I know she is thrilled that he loves her quilt and I'm thrilled she loves the quilting.

full quilt
 
 
1/4" lines in the outer triangles, dark fabrics stitched in the ditch, ribbon candy in the thin border
 
 
digital design
 
digital design--thread color to match background



 
back





November 28, 2015

Asher's quilt

When my daughter Erin got married, one of her bridesmaids was Donna.  This quilt was made for Donna's son, in her requested earthtone colors.  She wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise.  Donna is a graphic artist, among her other artistic abilities, so I thought she would appreciate the kaleidoscope qualities of a stack and whack.  The fabric in the border was used for the stack and whack blocks in the center. The backing is made with the a strip of the same fabric used in the small border and the binding, surrounded by fabric that looks like it was made to go with it.  It was quilted with the computerized edge to edge design Bumpity by Barbara Becker.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is how you thank someone for a quilt:


 
 
 
back

Kathleen's quilts

Kathleen brought me two matching tops--one wallhanging, one table runner.  They are made with beautiful hand dyed fabric.  The first picture shows the wallhanging with a third place ribbon in the Small Duet category of the Eastern Long Island Quilters Guild 2015 quilt show.  The colors are not accurate in that photo.

The dimensions of the two quarter circles in each block are different in the two pieces.  I quilted accordingly.  So they look slightly different.

 


 


 
 
close up of the back
 
tablerunner





November 27, 2015

Charles' sailboat curtain

My manager at my day job acquired a sailboat last year, and the bathroom had no privacy.  He asked if I could make him a curtain.  So he went to my local quilt shop, Pieceful Quilting, where the manager helped him choose fabrics for the front and back and I stopped in later to pick them up.  But I couldn't just give him a plain curtain, could I?  Oh, nooooooo.  I had to glam it up a little bit.

The mermaid is from a Dover Book.  I fused her and then zigzagged it down with nylon thread (after all, it's just a curtain for a bathroom for a boat).  I satin stitched in lime green around the whole thing, hoping that it would help it stand out a little.  He was begging for it, and I gave it to him, but I wasn't happy.

So, last winter, when he took the boat out of the water, I asked him to return it to me.  I wasn't crazy enough to rip the stitches out to separate the front and back (after all, it's just a curtain for a bathroom for a boat), so I stitched a batik around her in a larger circle and used the blanket stitch to stitch that down.  It is FAR from my best work, but, this bears repeating, IT'S JUST A CURTAIN FOR A BATHROOM ON A BOAT! LOL!

First year
 
back
 
mermaid close ups



Second year