September 19, 2010

I actually know someone with a prize winning quilt at Houston!!

Sigh.  No, it's not me LOL!  It's my dear friend, Janet Atkins.  She's an EXTREMELY talented hand quilter.  She's on the finalist list  for the International Quilt Association's 2010 "Quilts: A World of Beauty" , with other famous top notch quilters, she just doesn't know exactly WHAT she won yet.  Her quilts have won many ribbons at many shows. 

Kaaterskill

Close up of the quilting on the back--look at those teeny tiny stitches!

And just to prove I really DO know her, this is the beginning of that quilt, which I believe was started at a retreat in Wiawaka in 2005.

February 2006--some of the fabrics in the quilt were from fat quarters given to her by our online group for her birthday -- isn't that cool??  (Well, WE sure think it is!)

December 2007

Finished!

Our online group has been together about a dozen years now, and this is not the first prize winning Atkins quilt we've followed from begining to end.  And I know it won't be the last. 
Congratulations, Janet!!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it a beautiful quilt? I love it and I'm so happy for her. She certainly deserves it. BEAUTIFUL workmanship. Thanks for posting this. It was fun to see the other pictures of it's beginnings. :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie! There's some fabric in Kaaterskill that you gave me.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, this is one beautiful quilt. Your friend did an amazing job and her quilt was well chosen as a finalist..."A World of Beauty"...this is a BEAUTY! The hand quilting is great...makes my fingers hurt!
    AND...I just love seeing the photo progression...Thanks for sharing. And send your friend my congratulations! She ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete