December 11, 2016

Baby quilt for Sara

When I upgraded to the Handi Quilter Fusion a few years back, they were including an AccuQuilt Studio cutter with the purchase.  Since then, I've been slowly cutting a quarter yard off all of my batiks, cutting it into three 2.5" strips, and bundling into rolls of 20 strips each.  I LOVE scrap quilts.  I know a precut package usually has 40 or so strips and this allows me to use two matching/contrasting bundles to make patterns calling for a jelly roll, no thinking involved. 
I love the "Walkin' on Broken Glass" pattern by The Teacher's Pet.  I started with the black/gold one below that I'm still sewing the binding on.  A post will follow when that is finished (I'm DREADFULLY slow at sewing binding on, even more so when the quilt is for me).  I loved it so much that I pulled an orange bundle and a red bundle of my precut stash strips and started another.  Only I decided while it was on the design wall that it was just too much orange and red for me.  So, I used half of it, combined with some ladybug themed fabrics from my stash, and made the quilt below for a co-worker's new baby girl, Sara.  And now I'll have another one ready to quilt for the next baby that needs a quilt.
Most of the quilt has the edge to edge design Ground Cover by Barbara Becker, but I quilted a row of ladybugs on the two yellow strips, a design that came preloaded into the Pro-Stitcher for my HQ.


No comments:

Post a Comment